All Case Studies

Broken Solar, Rye VIC

Problem: PV solar system not generating anything. Inverter displaying 0 watts output, despite the solar array above working perfectly.

Diagnosis: Faulty inverter. Warranty expired.

Solution: To replace this faulty inverter under Victorian legislation required the use of exactly the same model, or the model recommended as a replacement by the manufacturer. If replacing with another brand or even model, the entire system would need to be brought up to current standards, necessitating the replacement of the entire system.

However, in this case our client was instead presented with a no-fix-no-fee quote to repair the inverter. The faulty relay was found thanks to a small discolouration around it’s solder join on the other side of the circuit board. A replacement relay was obtained from overseas, the relay was replaced, the inverter was tested and re-installed.

End Result: For a total cost of $325.57, the customer’s solar still working at full capacity, it has been over a year since the repair at the time of writing this.

All Case Studies Safety

Fuse Board Fire – Safety Beach, VIC

Problem: No power one one household power circuit.

Diagnosis: A loose connection between a 1980’s fuse wedge and it’s holder had heated to the point of burning the incoming wiring to the fuse holder, and even the front of the fuse board. This came very close to becoming a house fire.

Solution: This was the perfect opportunity for a major upgrade, eliminating this common fault with fuse wedges while simultaneously providing earth leakage (RCD) protection to all circuits for the safety of residents of this household.

The fuse board was removed and replaced with an all new switchboard. A new earth electrode was installed, and the new switchboard was inspected, as required under Victorian legislation.

End Result: The resident and their family can now sleep easy knowing that circuits are protected for earth leakage, in the event of a trip fuse wire does not need to be replaced, but most importantly, the risk of a fire starting in this switchboard has been reduced by orders of magnitude.